The Village Administrator carries out the directives of and putting into effect the policy decisions of the village board. This involves directing, supervising, and coordinating the activities of village departments and the delivery of municipal services. The incumbent operates under the general direction and policies of the village board.
Examples of Work
NOTE: This listing of typical duties is intended to be illustrative only and does not include all of the tasks performed by the position.
- Coordinates, direct, and supervises the activities of village departments and the delivery of municipal services.
- In coordination with the department heads, prepares and recommends an annual budget to the village board and administers the adopted budget.
- Performs or supervises financial management, accounting, and reporting activities and directs the investment and borrowing of funds..
- Establishes standard purchasing policies and procedures and generally oversees the purchase and contracting of services and supplies by village departments.
- Serves as personnel officer, establishes and administers standardized personnel policies and procedures, maintains personnel records.
- Prepares and maintains employee job descriptions and administers employee compensation and benefit plans.
- Coordinates the recruitment, selection, evaluation, disciplining, and termination of employees.
- Coordinates the scheduling of board and committee meetings, the preparation of agendas, supporting materials, and minutes; attends all meetings.
- Identifies issues, opportunities, and policy options for consideration by the village board.
- Serves as information officer and represents the village in dealings with the media, other government agencies, and the general public.
- Promotes and coordinates community and economic development efforts in conjunction with the director of public works/community development director.
- Coordinates data processing systems and procedures.
- Coordinates risk management functions and recommends level of insurance coverage and the carrier.
- Tracks and analyzes the impact of proposed and adopted changes in legislation.
- Recommends the selection of firms to provide professional services, including legal, auditing, property assessment, engineering, architectural, codification, and specialized consulting services.
- Processes citizen inquiries or complaints relating to municipal services and responds to requests for services.
- Performs the duties of the clerk-treasurer in the clerk-treasurer's absence.