December 4th, 2017

Print

OFFICIAL MINUTES – MEETING OF DECEMBER 04, 2017

Village of North Fond du Lac – BOARD OF TRUSTEES

 

Board Present                                                      Staff Present

Jim Moore – President                                                             Chuck Hornung – Administrator

John Duffy – Trustee                                                              Nick Leonard – Dir. Planning & Engineering

Keith King – Excused                                                               Darren Pautsch – Police Chief

Mike Streetar – Trustee                                                           Jake Flaherty – Fire Chief      

Mike Will – Trustee                                                                 Heather Wegner – Library                                                                                         

Others: Jim Kalny – Davis & Kuelthau

 

A.        ROLL CALL OF OFFICERS:

      Moore called the meeting to order at 6:00 PM. Moore, Streetar, Duffy, and Will present.

B.        PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:

C.        CITIZENS PARTICIPATION: (None)

D.        ANNOUNCEMENTS:

1.      Chuck recognized two DPW crewman, Brian Rebedew and Kevin Gruber, for their assistance with a medical emergency. While performing assigned tasks, they came upon a women in need of help where her child was having a medical emergency. Brian & Kevin assisted the women until the ambulance arrived. Chuck and the board thanked them for getting involved and assisting.

E.   PRESIDENTS BUSINESS and Staff Reports:

1.      Library – Heather Wegner – Heather reminded the audience that the Santa’s parade will be held this Thursday starting at 5:30. The route is listed on the Libraries Face Book Page and the Village web site. Santa will be arriving at the Community Center at 6:30 where he will read to the children. The FDL Studio of Music will be playing at the event. A coupon for a free book will be given to each child. Milk and cookies, donated by Baker’s Pride will be served. There is no fee to attend. With the activities at the Community Center, the Library will be closed from 6:00 to 8:00. The Library will also be closed this Wednesday from 11:30 to 1:00 for the annual Christmas luncheon at the Municipal building.

2.      Administrator – Chuck Hornung – The property and personal property tax bills will be mailed this week. Baker Tilly will be at the municipal office tomorrow for the annual pre-audit. Training sessions will be held the weeks of December 11th and 18th for the conversion for an upgrade to our business system. Chuck thanked the DPW crew, staff, and high school students who helped decorate the Yellowstone Trail Park for Christmas.

3.      Police Chief – Darren Pautsch –Taylor Goldapske accepted the offer for the vacant patrol officer position and started today. He is going through orientation and will be in field training for 12 weeks. Winter parking rules are in effect. 314 warning tickets were given until the end of November. 8 violations were issued since 12/1. A suspect has been arrested for a child abuse incident. Chief Pautsch added to Heather’s Santa Parade report by saying that Santa will be stopping at LeMieux and Optimist Park.

4.      Fire Chief – Jake Flaherty – Jake passed around a calendar from the company we bought our last new ambulance from. One of the month’s picture is the Village’s new ambulance. The replacement radios have been ordered. Staff is working on submitting an AFG grant. The grant will be requesting funds for a venting system for the equipment bay. Whenever the vehicles are running in the bay, the exhaust tends to filter through the entire building. A knox box was delivered for the municipal building. This will be for access to our facility for agencies that back fill for the Village when they are called out for a fire. One of the EMT’s from Eldorado stopped in to receive assistance on updating their state operations manual. Four of the village firefighters have passed their Firefighter II certification. Jake indicated he is changing his log reporting and will have the new format at the next meeting. He also asked residents to make sure to check their CO2 and smoke detectors. With the winter heating season upon us, it is good to ensure they are working.

5.      Department of Planning & Engineering – Nick Leonard – Nick continues to receive requests for information for our business park. He along with Mitch have completed the East Central Sewer Service Map planning. This is done every 20 years. Staff have started the planning for the 2018 projects. Nick is reviewing the fire protection charges. He is hoping to propose some changes to encourage more economic development.

F.         CONSENT AGENDA:

1.      Approve the minutes of the following Village Board Meeting: November 20th, 2017.

2.      Approve invoices and authorize checks to be drawn on the respective funds in the amounts indicated:

 

General Fund:                         $87,593.16

Outdoor Rec.                          $.00

Library Fund                           $755.57

EMS Fund                              $2,403.96

Capital Projects                       $73,663.37

Water Department                  $6,350.54

Wastewater Department         $1,100.28

Community Dev. Authority    $17.59

Storm Water Fund                  $881.93

$172,766.40

A motion was made by Mike Will with a second by Mike Streetar to approve the consent agenda. Mike Will asked about the payment to John Redman. Nick responded by saying that John is the Village arborist and is consulted on what and where trees should be planted. John is also available to answer questions from residents. All ayes.

G.       ADMINISTRATION:

1.      Discussion of Administrator search process. Chuck reviewed the current plan and timetable. Mike Will asked if the current administrator should submit a formal resignation letter. Jim Kalny from Davis & Kuelthau said it was not necessary but was a good idea. Chuck said he would provide one. Mike Streetar started the discussion on whether a search firm should be hired. Mike Will asked Jim Kalny of his experience with search firms. Jim stated it is a mixed bag. Chuck added he felt using a firm would provide a wider search net than posting the job locally. Mike Will asked Jim what he felt the cost of using a firm would be. Jim said it could range from $10,000 to $35,000 and would provide a list of companies in Wisconsin. Mike Streetar asked Jim if the Village should post the job before a decision to hire a firm was made. Jim did not think it matters. Chuck will contact the firms that Jim will provide. Jim suggested that in the posting it defines the position, process, and timetable. Chuck offered to have a first draft for review of the posting for a special board meeting on 12/11/2017. The board agreed.

2.   General discussion of Elected Officials email rules. Mike Streetar had asked about best practices for correspondence between the Village and board members. Jim Kalny suggested a separate Village email to not complicate any open records requests. Mike Streetar who is on the school board, Mike Will who works for the County, and John Dufy who had worked for the City of FDL, all had separate email accounts. Chuck had set them up a while back but are not consistently being used. Chuck will look into moving toward Chrome Books or iPad type devices. Mike Will also encouraged that any correspondence between board members or the Village and board members be sent as blind copies.

H.       COMMUNICATIONS: (None)

I.           UNFINISHED BUSINESS: (None)

J.           NEW BUSINESS: (None)

K.         CLOSED SESSION:

1.               Discussion of a personnel issue under Wisconsin State Statutes 19.85(1) (c) considering employment, promotion, Compensation or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility.

1.      WPPA/LEER Contract

2.      IAFF Contract

2.                Considering financial, medical, social or personal histories or disciplinary data of specific persons, preliminary consideration of specific personnel problems or the investigation of charges against specific persons except par. (b) applies which, if discussed in public, would be likely to have a substantial adverse effect upon the reputation of any person referred to in such histories or data, or involved in such problems or investigations.

1.      Staffing

A motion was made by Mike Streetar with a second by John Duffy to go into closed session at 6:47 p.m.

Roll call: (John Duffy-yes) (Jim Moore–Yes) (Mike Streetar–Yes) (Mike Will–Yes)

A motion was made by Mike Streetar with a second by Mike Will to go into open session at 7:55 p.m.

Roll call: (John Duffy-yes) (Jim Moore–Yes) (Mike Streetar–Yes) (Mike Will–Yes)

L.        ADJOURNMENT:

            A motion was made by Mike Streetar with a second by Mike Will to adjourn at 7:56 p.m. All ayes.

 

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

      ______________________________             __________________________________

 

            James Moore, Village President                                     Chuck Hornung, Village Administrator

The Village of North Fond du Lac

16 Garfield Street
North Fond du Lac, WI 54937
Phone: 920-929-3765 Fax: 920-929-3964
E-mail
facebook 

Designed by
Winnebago Web Works

Sunday the 21st.